This is what I just made! Yam porridge!
Only West African countries can recognize this type of Yam! Other countries in Africa have their own type of yam which is very different from our yam in Western Africa
Yam porridge: Mashed yam with vegetables
Ingredients: Yam, Onions, Palm oil (groundnut oil), fish, cray fish, salt, maggi cubes, habanero, vegetables (any kind) but here, I used cucumber……..realized there was no vegetable at the late hour so had to improvise!
- Peel the yam (back); make sure to peel thinly with knife.
- Chop into smaller pieces and arrange into pot.
- Add your sliced onions.
- Bring to a boil for 20 minutes
- Sprinkle sliced (blended) habanero or chili pepper, cray fish and maggi. Add fish afterwards, if any
- Cover and cook until yam is done.
- Now, add salt to taste and stir. Cover for another 5 minutes
- Add little quantity of palm oil (or groundnut oil- most people do not use g oil because of its high cholesterol), stir and mash. Cover for another 5 mins
- Add your sliced choice of vegetable and stir with your spoon
Stir and Mash
And yay! Your yam porridge is ready!
I added the cucumber immediately I rinsed the yam into the pot
Please make sure to sprinkle some curry powder and thyme…..however you want it
Had my porridge with a tangerine, cucumber and 5 alive
Summary with pictures:
Victoria Lola ❤